To me it’s zucchini, to others courgette. No matter what it’s called, the action- packed zucchini can be cooked in a hundred wholesome and tasty ways. Zucchini can be steamed, boiled, grilled, stuffed and baked, barbecued, fried or shredded raw, it’s your choice.
There are heaps of ways to cook this little squash and making them into slices is really easy. I like these cold.
Serve with some roasted tomatoes : Place some tomatoes on a baking tray. Spray with olive oil. Roast for 10 minutes or until just soft.
Zucchini and Sweet Potato Slice
- 1 large zucchini, grated
- 2 rashers bacon, finely diced
- 1 purple onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and grated
- 1 small red capsicum, finely diced
- 2 spring onions - just the green parts, chopped
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (or gruyere)
- 4 eggs lightly whisked
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup self raising flour
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to medium 180. Grease and line a shallow, rimmed baking tray with baking paper.
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in a frying pan on medium. Add bacon, garlic and onion. Stir fry for 3-4 minutes until the mixture starts to caramelise, tossing to avoid sticking. Add capsicum and spring onions. Cook for another 2 minutes until glossy
- Remove from heat and scrape the pan-roasted veggies into a large bowl. Add the zucchini, sweet potato, cheese, parsley, eggs, milk, flour, remaining tablespoon of oil and seasoning to the bowl. Make sure you season the batter well with salt and pepper.
- Mix gently with a wooden spoon until thoroughly combined.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake in the oven for approximately 35 minutes until golden on top and cooked through.
- Turn off the oven and let the slice sit in the warm oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely. Cut in squares and enjoy