You can do a lot of things with sweet potatoes such as roasting, baking or even making chips but, for a change, try a pie.
Sweet Potato Pie
- 500 gram sweet potatoes
- 320 sheet shortcrust pastry
- 125 gram butter
- 250 gram fine sugar
- 150 mil full cream milk
- 3 eggs
- pinch grated nutmeg or 1/4 teasp powdered nutmeg
- 1/2 teasp ground cinnamon
- 1 teasp ground vanilla or 1 drop liquid
- Fill a large pot with boiling water and set over a medium-high heat. Cook the whole, unpeeled sweet potatoes for 30 mins until very tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife. Drain well and leave to cool for 10 mins, then peel.
- Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Unravel the shortcrust pastry and use it to line a 23cm fluted tart tin. Line with baking parchment and fill with baking beans, then bake for 20 mins. Remove the parchment and beans and bake for another 5 mins.
- Tip the peeled sweet potatoes into a large bowl with the butter and mash with a potato masher until completely smooth. Tip in the sugar, milk, eggs, spices and vanilla and whisk until everything is combined and smooth.
- Tip the sweet potato filling into the pastry case, smoothing the top with a spatula. Bake for 50-55 mins until the pastry and the surface of the pie is golden and the middle is set. Leave to cool completely in the tin, then remove to a cake stand or serving plate and cut into slices to serve.