Plums used to come into season in early Autumn, but of late I’ve seen them around at the end of Summer. Are they being shipped from Tasmania? Somewhere with cooler weather than Melbourne anyway.
This is the easiest, quickest and possibly the tastiest way to serve plums. Dish them up either warm or chilled. Serve with cream, yogurt or even Mascarpone custard
- 500 grams plums
- 200 grams caster sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- `1 vanilla pod
- Wash the plums, cut into quarters, then remove the stones
- Split the vanilla pod and scrape the seeds from the middle
- Put the sugar into a large pot with 225ml water, the cinnamon and vanilla. Gently heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Slide the fruit into the syrup. Bring the pot to the boil, then let it simmer for 5-10 mins – depending on the ripeness – until the plums are soft
- Leave to cool slightly and serve as they are -or with something delicious such as cream or creamy yogurt