What’s not to love about broadbeans? A tasty dish high in protein, usually served as a side but I serve it as a main. With some crusty bread and a bowl of fresh tomatoes, it’s all that you want.
Broad Beans with Bacon
- 500 grams broad beans
- 1 large potato
- 1 medium onion
- 2 rashers bacon
- 1/4 cup chiscken or vegetable stock
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Remove the beans from the pod, blanch and peel. Put aside
- Chop the onion and dice the bacon
- Peel the potato and chop into 2cm chunks
- In a saucepan, heat some olive oil. Add onion and bacon and fry until the onion softens (about 5 minutes) stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon
- Add the potato and stir-fry them for 2 minutes, combining with the onion and bacon
- Add the chicken stock and thyme leaves, cover the saucepan with a lid and let the veggies cook for at least 10 minutes in the saucepan until the potatoes feel almost done (test them with a skewer)
- Toss in the prepared broad beans and cook, with the lid off, for about 5 minutes more.